Thursday, December 01, 2005

Solving BizTalk "error X2044"

I encountered a strange compilation error recently in BizTalk 2004 when importing a web service.

While I can’t put my finger on the exact cause yet, I do have a fix that works.

When you see an error message like:

C:\Project\Web References\ExtRef\MyOrch.odx(445,23): error X2044: symbol '@@@@' is already defined; the first definition is in assembly @@@.dll : It may be possible to disambiguate by using fully qualified names.

The way to fix this error is to do the following:

  • Open the orchestration in Notepad (In my case MyOrch.odx)
  • Do a find (Ctrl+F) for “#endif // __DESIGNER_DATA”
  • Delete all the code below that line
  • Save your file in Notepad
  • Say yes when Visual Studio asks if you want to update your file
  • Recompile

Note: The code will not be regenerated until you edit an expression shape, etc. Add a “//” or something and you will then see the code re-appear when you open it in Notepad again.

I hope this may serve to save someone time, it took a while for me to figure it out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this, worked like a charm, seems like BizTalk often gets itself in knots. This fix has undoubtably saved me many hours..